Drug addiction can EASILY lead you to being a Mule! BEWARE
THERE ARE FOUR STEPS TO DRUG DEPENDENCY
- The experimental stage. Trying it once, or a few times with long periods of time between tries.
- The recreational phase. You don’t actively try to acquire the drug, but partake when your friends offer it to you.
- The regular-use stage. You obtain the drug yourself and make sure you always have a stash. You use drugs once or twice a week.
- The dependency phase or addiction. At this stage drugs will be the most important thing in your life and any attempt to separate you from the drug will be met with fierce resistance. Drug addiction is a deadly disease if not treated. No wonder it’s described as a “journey to nowhere”.
A person's risk of addiction increases with frequency of use.
The greater the quantity, the faster the ride to dependence.
Not every user or addict will become a Mule but the potential is great.
If you simply MUST use drugs, leave the importation of your 'supply' to the big guys who ship the stuff in planes, trains and automobiles. Stop muling! The penalties are severe and just not worth it. Also, if you simply MUST experiment, stay off the addictive drugs. They have the capacity to completely destroy your life. Addictive drugs do not discriminate and cut across genders, cultures, race and economic status. Addiction is like a triple-barbed fishing hook... once it's in, it's very difficult to get it out. Don't be a hero. Don't underestimate your own body's reaction to addictive substances. Don't be "that guy" !
We honestly do not want to see your photo on this website.
Signs and symptoms of drug DEPENDENCE
|Cravings and relapse||* Strong and overwhelming desire to use your drug of choice at a specific time of day or several times a day
* Drug seeking behaviors
* Trying to stop using the drug but failing more than once
* Feeling that you must have the drug to deal with your problems
|Tolerance||* In order to feel the same effect, using more of the drug than intended and using the drug more frequently|
|Withdrawal symptoms||* Cocaine: Agitation, insomnia, anxiety, depression, anger, cravings, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, shakes, irritability, muscle pain
* Anti-anxiety medications: Sleeplessness, irritability, anxiety, feeling shaky, headache, dizziness, loss of appetite, and in extreme cases, seizures
* Heroin: Dilated pupils, goose bumps, watery eyes, runny nose, yawning, chills, nausea, muscle cramps, stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, shakes, sweats, feeling jittery, irritable, panic, tremors
* Methamphetamine: Fatigue, disturbed sleeping patterns, irritability, intense hunger, moderate to severe depression, anxiety, psychotic reactions
|Effects on memory and motivation||* Impairments in learning, memory and cognitive functioning
* Losing interest in activities and hobbies that were once pleasurable
|Risky behavior||* Sharing needles
* Having unsafe sex
|If any of this information rings true in your life or in the life of someone close to you, GET HELP!
The Addiction Action Campaign is the most informative website in South Africa relating to addiction, substance abuse and compulsive behaviours such as sex, gambling, pornography, over eating, treatment and drug information. Learn more